B

Friday, June 29, 2012

{The Big Boys First Camp - HHI}

This past week Luke and Nate went to a camp at Heuser Hearing Institute's school, Heuser Hearing and Language Academy (formerly Louisville Deaf Oral School).  It was a camp for deaf and heard of hearing kids and their siblings.  This was a first experience for camp in our family and Luke did pretty well, but was a little reluctant.  Nate all out full on melted down.  He cried and moped.  When I finally left, I got a phone call about 30 minutes later asking if I could come back.  He wanted his mama.  It was actually pretty sweet.  So I came back, and he was enjoying the Bubble Truck when I pulled back in :) .  It was a fun week - Bubble Truck, Sno Cones, a trip to the Science Center.  Lots of fun things.  The best part was that Luke got to see other kids with "circles" and hearing aids.  He was so cute when he first saw them all.  It must have been a good feeling to know he wasn't the only one that was a bionic man!  I also got the pleasure of talking to some other parents of Deaf and Hard of Hearing kids.  It was great to see that we were all equally overwhelmed and clueless upon finding out!  I think we left the week with some fun memories and feeling a little less alone in this whole thing.  One thing I realized is that so many kids are "deaf and..." but Luke is "just deaf."  A lot of the other kids there had other very serious health issues in addition to being deaf.  Reminded me that we are truly blessed, always blessed. 

No comments: