When we got Luke's results of his ABR and the suggestion for CI, Dr. Ashley explained that 90% of health insurance plans (including Medicaid, Medicare and VA) cover CI. I called our insurance company (Humana) today and found out - they don't.
{Many of Humana's plans do cover CI, but the specific plan Joe's employer has chosen through Humana doesn't}
I am so sick to my stomach and feel like I have been punched. It was overwhelming enough to think about him needing a CI, but now, knowing insurance won't cover it is maybe even more overwhelming. The estimates for the entire CI process (pre-surgery x-ray, mri, ct scan, surgeon evaluation, speech pathologist evaluation, the sedated abr we did last week; the implant itself, the surgeon, the surgery space and supplies, anesthesia; the external device and follow up visits to calibrate the settings of the CI, the speech and auditory therapy...) are anywhere from $50,000-$150,000. We don't have that much money just laying around, and we don't know anyone that does! We are already looking for options and I have contacted the Heuser Hearing Institute (that is where Dr. Ashley and Dr. Austin work and where Luke will get his Hearing Aids and have his initial CI evaluation done), and the manufacturer or the implant we want for Luke, Cochlear America, asking for suggestions. I know there are lots of people praying for us and we appreciate it so much. I am sure it will work out one way or another...but finding the way may be hard. And being in the middle of pregnancy makes everything seem more overwhelming...my hormones were already in overdrive!

No comments:
Post a Comment