Happy Easter to everyone! We have had an eventful weekend here in the Van Bree household. It all started Thursday night around bedtime I was having some cramping, I know from my pregnancy with Luke that contractions often feel like cramps, so I went to bed and decided if it got worse or I was still cramping by morning I would head to the hospital. Sure enough Friday morning I was still cramping, so I took Luke to his Aunt Mary’s and headed to Floyd Memorial Hospital. Honestly, I felt a little silly like I might be over-reacting, but felt like I should go just to be sure. When I got there they hooked me up to monitors but my contractions weren’t showing up. I knew I was pretty low on the doctor’s sweat list at that point so I settled in to wait…after a few hours and me deciding I had over-reacted, the nurse came in and said the doctor asked her to check my cervix. I watched her eyes grow as she told me I was 50% effaced and about 1 centimeter dialated already! I was quickly moved up the doctors list and when she checked me I was labeled 50% effaced and 1-2 centimeters dialated. She made a call to Norton’s Hospital in Louisville and arranged for a group of high-risk ob doctors to take over my care there, where they were more equipped to handle my situation. They are also right across the street from Kosair’s Children’s Hospital, so God forbid, if I were to deliver at 23 weeks Nathan would have the best chance there. Before I knew it Joe was there and I was being whisked away in an ambulance (first time for me!). At Norton they did an ultrasound on me and decided to sentence me to bedrest and recheck me Sunday morning. So I layed around “Hotel Norton” as Joe and I have affectionately renamed it for two days.
Joe stayed the nights with me and Luke with Mary. I was a little worried about Luke but he did great, didn’t bother him a bit to be away. Me, on the other hand…I was devestated! I have tucked him in every single night of his life up to this point and never gone more than a few hours without him. Joe brought him up Saturday to see me and we played and even took a nap in my hospital bed. I enjoyed just watching him sleep and hearing him breath. A sweet reminder of how precious the little life inside of me is… When they rechecked me this morning they were not happy with the findings…my cervix had changed and there was mucus on the probe after my internal ultrasound which can be a sign of full dialation (sorry this is all a little graphic…). After a very invasive and thorough internal exam the doctor decided it was Easter, so I could go home for the day and come back tomorrow to be rechecked. If I have progressed further by tomorrow we will probably do a cerclage (put a stitch in my cervix to keep it from opening further). And then we will go from there.
It has been a roller coaster of emotions…at one point on Friday thinking I was bound to deliver that day and knowing Nathan was not likely to survive, realizing my body may not be designed to have the 4-5 children we would so love to have, worrying about Luke…
It has been a roller coaster of emotions…at one point on Friday thinking I was bound to deliver that day and knowing Nathan was not likely to survive, realizing my body may not be designed to have the 4-5 children we would so love to have, worrying about Luke…
I am more at peace now, knowing that God is in control. Easter is such a reminder of the miracles God is capable of for those who put their trust in Him. I am greatful that Jesus gave His perfect life in sacrafice for the sins of this world, but what makes it a miracle – what makes it God, is that three days later His Father in Heaven raised Him from the dead and won the ultimate victory over death. I know that God will perform His perfect will for our family, just as He did for His own family.
I am greatful for a loving and supportive husband first and foremost. I truly love you more every day, Joe, and don’t know what I would do without you. You are my rock. I am greatful for friends and family that have stepped in to help and volunteered to help – I will need you all! I am greatful for everyone’s prayers and thoughts. I will keep you posted as best I can…hopefully tomorrow they will find no changes and I will be able to go home and proceed as normal!
I am greatful for a loving and supportive husband first and foremost. I truly love you more every day, Joe, and don’t know what I would do without you. You are my rock. I am greatful for friends and family that have stepped in to help and volunteered to help – I will need you all! I am greatful for everyone’s prayers and thoughts. I will keep you posted as best I can…hopefully tomorrow they will find no changes and I will be able to go home and proceed as normal!

2 comments:
You have such a great attitude. Our prayers are with your family. I guess little Nathan is excited to meet his family already.
We are all so glad that you are home and that things are looking up for you and Baby Nathan. We are just down the road. Yell, if you need help!
Post a Comment