B

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Dinner Anyone?!?

Bet you are wondering what in the world this is, huh?!? Well, a couple weeks ago I went with Amanda and her church to Indianapolis where her church has a food storage facility. You can purchase food and can it there and they also use it as a warehouse for food they donate. See, the LDS Church teaches members to store food for emergency preparedness. In a perfect world everyone would have one year's worth. In case of a natural disaster, loss of a job, etc. You would know your family could at least eat! This isn't realistic for everyone due to space and financial restrictions, but like a said, in a perfect world... I got 35 #10 cans full of oats, rice, beans, spaghetti, onion, carrots, apples, dried milk, rice, sugar and flour (all dry of course) for $135! Not only is it an amazing bargain - but about 90% of it will last up to 30 years in the cans! I am excited to start our food storage and would encourage everyone to do the same. You don't have to start so big, just a few extra items at the groceery each week, or you can use some of the resources of the Mormon Church...I'll try to get some links up for that. I always enjoy my time with Amanda's Church, thanks for another fun day - and possibly saving our lives someday by providing the opportunity to get all this food - I can't wait to add to it!

3 comments:

Maxwells said...

Good for you! We have one planned for June. Look at my blog at the fun with fod storage button, it's a really neat website.

{Amanda G} said...

Well, you have such a good start and so much room for it! It was such a fun day and we will have to do it again. I always have fun with you no matter what we do. So put us together canning some dry food, now that equals loads of fun! :)

Kristy Taylor Fishburn said...

Thank you so much for leaving all of your wonderful comments on our blog! You are the only one that will ever do it! You seem to be incredibly happy - as always :) You have made such a wonderful life for yourself. 2 babies, a new house...I want to be you when I decide to be a grownup! We love you and miss you so much!