B

Saturday, October 11, 2008

{By small and simple things are great things brought to pass. Alma 37:6}



Today I had the blessing of going with my friend Amanda to her church for a woman's day. This meant no baby - Luke stayed with daddy! :) We had a lesson taught by Amanda about how the small things in your life that you do for God, can add up to amazing things. And how improvements to ourself and our relationships with others can affect our lives and our world. We put together some hygeine kits for those in need, then had another short lesson on the treasure of the Scriptures (for Mormons this includes not only the Bible, but also the Book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, and one other that is slipping my mind...help me Amanda!) anyway, it was a beautiful talk on taking notes in your bible and making it your own - the bible is God's love letter to us individually and as a whole, so writing your thoughts and prayers and how a verse effects you at that moment is a wonderful idea! We then had a yummy lunch and did some fun craft projects, my favorite was a tile that sits on an easle with a quote on it - can't wait to put it in my new kitchen! It was a much needed break for both Amanda and myself as both of our boys are teething and it has been a loooooong week!


As many of you know, Amanda is Mormon. Some may say we are an 'odd couple' me a Catholic convert and her a Mormon convert. But we have much more in common than we have differences: our sons are a month apart, we both went on bedrest the last month of our pregnancies, we both love to decorate, we have the same sense of style (we often show up wearing the exact same outfit - because if we find something cute and on sale we buy it for the other too!), we both love being mommies, and we both love the Lord and seek to serve him as best we can. Our religions have different beliefs, but as a previous pastor of mine once said "Keep the main thing the main thing!" Focus on God and He will sort out the details. Our passion for the Lord is the same, though we take different paths.

I count myself so blessed to have her in my life, she helps with Luke, she even found babytobee so I could work from home and be a SAHM (stay at home mom), she is the first person I call in the morning (if she hasn't called me already!), I lean on her for advice, comfort and strength. She doesn't judge me and she accepts me as I am. She encourages me and inspires me to be a better mother, wife, friend, and person. What more could I ask for?!?!?

So, thank you Amanda for inviting me today, I enjoyed the fellowship with other Christian women, the food, and the crafts. And the lessons have inspired me to rekindle my daily reading of the bible...it is such an important part of our walk with the Lord, but so many of us are quick to disregard it...sad. But not me! Not anymore anyway... :) Hold me accountable as I know you will! And know that I think my friendship with you is a treasure!

2 comments:

{Amanda G} said...

Candice- I am overwhelmed with emotions after reading your post. First thank you for going with me and taking time out of your busy life to spend some quality time with me. Second, I am grateful for your friendship also because you do accept me for who I am with no strings attached. I am so grateful that fate crossed our paths and made this relationship possible for the both of us. I am blessed that we can share our love of the Lord with each other and know that it is real. I am thankful for your guidance, patience and complete understanding of all aspects of my life. I too would be lost without you in my life. So the thanks goes to you, my friend. Love you!!!

Maxwells said...

I am sure you know we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints also. Such a small world that you have a great friend who is too.