B

Sunday, March 11, 2012

{A Letter to Luke}

Dear Sweet Lukey,
Mommy and Daddy made a very big decision for you.  Tomorrow will change your life forever.  In September of last year we found out you were having a hard time hearing, we had long suspected that.  But then we found out your type of hearing loss was progressive - so it was going to keep getting worse.  There was no way to tell how fast - days, weeks, months, years, decades...  So over the last 6 months we have done multiple hearing tests with Dr Austin.  Each one showing your hearing to be declining - and quickly.  Along with your hearing your speech has been effected.  You are often shy because you don't know what people are saying to you.  After watching your hearing and speech deteriorate so quickly we made the decision to have you implanted with a cochlear implant.  It's like a "bionic ear"!  We have prayed about this, asked others to pray about it for us, thought about this, fought for this...  But still, I am nervous.  I wish the choice could be yours, but you are too young to understand, so we will have faith that we are making the best choice for you.  We love you no matter what - deaf, hard of hearing, hearing, even if you were green!  We are making this decision for you because we want you to have all the options in the world available to you and we think this will help you.  I hope someday you will look back and thank us, or at least understand why we made this choice.  After surgery tomorrow you won't be able to hear anything in your right ear, and your left ear is not so good...I know it might be scary, but Mommy can still hear you, and I will be here for you, and so will Daddy.  In 16 days we will "turn you on" and you will hear in a whole new way.  Until then, please know I love you, even if your ears can't hear me say it, I hope your heart knows it. 
All My Love,
Mommy
PS Jace and Nate Nate and lots of other people love you so much too!  You are a special boy to lots of people, everyone is praying for you!

No comments: